Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society Logo

 

Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society

Articles

Bungalow on Grove Street in Margaret PlaceMargaret Place Historical District was formed by the City Council in the mid 90's.

It follows the same guidelines as the Charpentier District.

Margaret Place is a considerably smaller area, but offers a variety of styles, including many bungalows.

For the 2012 Palm Sunday Tour of Homes, CHPS joined forces with the Margaret Place Historical District to present the 37th Annual Palm Sunday Tour of Homes along with the Margaret Place Fan Tour, and a Centennial Brunch.

From the Archives of the American Press

The following ad has been re-typed here to make it easier to read.  The copy from the American Press archives is below.  CHPS is grateful to the American Press for providing permission to post these images. They may NOT to be reprinted without express permission from the American Press.

Read more...

Plats of Margaret Place over the years

Note: This section is a work-in-progress in preparation for the 100th Anniversary of Margaret Place. Some of the commentary below is speculation subject to verification. Those with answers to questions listed below are encouraged to communicate via e-mail with This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

Four major plats of the area in and around the current Margaret Place are of interest. All can be found in any Margaret Place home or property abstract.

Long before Margaret and Allen Perkins purchased and lived here, the property was within The Sallier Subdivision.

[to be inserted]


Perkins Homestead

IMG_9548_perkinsfamilyorchard_better_x

Read more...

Debakey to Pithon, Griffith Coulee to Wilson

According to the 1914 Sanborn Maps (courtesy of McNeese State University Archives Department), there were only 7 houses in the 2 block area from South Ryan (Now Dr. Michael DeBakey Drive) to the North side of Pithon and from the Griffith Coulee to the opposite side of Wilson (then known as "Allen" Avenue).

It would seem that "Allen" would have been named for Allen Perkins, but his needs to be verified.  It would be interesting to find out why the name was changed....why Wilson VS Allen?

Those homes and the start at the creation of an ownership history follows. Residents and former residents are encouraged to submit information to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

1914 Sanborn Maps

DeBakey Drive (then S. Ryan)

  • No homes
  • St. Charles Academy (technical address was probably Ryan but a significant portion of the original building faced S. Ryan (DeBakey)

Four on Grove. Two on the South side and two on the North Side:

  • 101 Grove
    • 1914 Sanborn Map Courtesy of McNeese State University Archive Department Texada, 1914
    • Moses, 1924
    • Nieset, 1974
    • Winston
    • Webb
    • Rasbeary
  • 105 Grove
    • ?
    • Percy
    • Gabb
    • McCloskey
    • Stevens
  • 110 Grove
    • ?
    • Turnbull
    • Stevens
    • Bowling
    • Guidry
  • 112 Grove
    • Clooney (brother to the fellow who built 101 Pithon, a Landmark House known as The James Clooney House built in 1913.)

Read more...