The mission of the Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society (CHPS) is to encourage the preservation of historical buildings, objects, and places relating to the history of Louisiana and Calcasieu Parish, including its natural beauty and all that is distinctive to our state.
One of the primary ways that CHPS accomplishes this mission is to recognize those who have contributed toward the preservation of buildings, objects and places. This is done by presenting awards to deserving property owners via the Calca Commendation and the Landmark Awards.
Pick from one
of these six membership categories:
Major Donor $250+
Join using our on-line membership form.
Area History and More!
Longtime preservationist and former President of CHPS, Adley Cormier, has graciously permitted us to publish a copy of his Timeline History of Southwest Louisiana.
On October 1, 2013, Adley Cormier, a local historian and City of Lake Charles Historic Preservation Commissioner (HPC) gave a presentation on researching historic homes and building historic districts. This was part of the ongoing "Tidbits of History" program of the Southwest Louisiana Genealogy and Historical Library, a branch of the Calcasieu Public Library System.
The presentation was also videoed for broadcast on C-Gov, the Parish's television channel. Cormier's presentation offered practical advice on how to explore and document building and neighborhood history. He provided this transcript of the presentation.
Endangered List Presented at Annual Meeting
Preservation Advocacy Report presented at the 2015 Annual Meeting by Adley Cormier
The postings are of historic properties that deserve rehabilitation and reuse, but appear to in a state of abandonment and/or advanced deterioration. We encourage owners to maintain properties to maintain property values and those of the neighborhoods. We encourage frank assessments of alternatives when maintenance and reuse are not possible, including offering the property for sale to others for development and reuse. We encourage good stewardship of historic resources.
The Ramsey-Dees-Alexander House c. 1894
|Left to right: Glenn and Debbie Alexander, Ann Caston|
William T. Ramsey, of the Bradley-Ramsey Lumber Company, built this lovely southern beauty for Nathaniel and Susan Pope in 1894. Mr. Pope was an official with the Longbell Lumber Company, so wood was used extensively in the construction and adornment of the home.
The Giovanni House, c.1905
| Left to right: Gaye Giovanni McDonald, Maureen and C.A. Miller pose with the Landmark Plaque
presented during the annual meeting of the Calcasieu Historial Preservation Society.
The Collette House c. 1910
|Theresa Schmidt receives the Landmark Plaque for her house from CHPS Board Member Ann Caston|